Monday, August 28, 2006

Perspective

When I was in Gihembe (one of the two camps) on Wednesday night, I stayed with a friend of Jessica, Père Maurice. Father Maurice, a Jesuit, is the Country Director of Jesuit Relief Services in Rwanda, which handles the education services for children in Gihembe camp. He is from the south of France, but has worked in different parts of Asia, Africa, and South America. His house was great, and the meals were refreshing; among other things, we ate pasta, pineapple, salami, cheese, and bread.

Anyway, on Wednesday night, Pere Maurice asked if we would like to watch a movie that he had purchased that day in Kigali, Shooting Dogs. It’s a British movie about a group of Catholic teachers and clergy in Rwanda during the genocide. He had also invited two neighbors to come over and watch the movie with us. The movie itself was okay; I think Hotel Rwanda is better and historically more accurate. It was what happened after the movie that blew me away.

After it was over, Pere Maurice said in French-accented English “Let’s talk about these things because sometimes these things are difficult to see and we can talk about them.” We had to speak in French because the neighbors were not comfortable in English, so I was lagging in the talk. After a bit of discussion, Pere Maurice turned to the two women (the neighbors) and said in French “I hope this wasn’t too difficult for you to watch.” They both pleasantly smiled and said it was not. Later, the woman on the right said “Oui, j’ai perdu mon père dan le génocide.” Then the other smiled just as politely, and said “Et j’ai perdu mon père, ma mère, et mes deux frères.” In English, the first said “Yes, I lost my father in the genocide,” and the second said “And I lost my father, my mother, and my two brothers.” We had basically just watched a reenactment of how their family members were killed.

At first I wasn’t sure if I had heard or translated correctly. But, fearing that I had, I covered my mouth and sat silently as the rest continued the discussion. Father Maurice wrapped up the conversation, and told us that he had to take the women home. They walked out first, and as Père Maurice lagged behind, I stopped him. When the women were out of earshot, I said to Père Maurice, in English to make sure that I understood, “Did they just say that they lost all those people; her father, and her father, mother, and two brothers?” Completely straight faced, he said “Yes, there are many people here like that. It is not…uncommon.”

I was speechless. I didn’t know what to say or think; I had read and studied the genocide, but it is so distant when it is just a part of your homework. I went to bed and thought firstly about how both of those women had spoken of their dead family members so candidly and openly, as if it were completely natural, and secondly, about how we can begin to reconcile what we consider pain with the pain these people have endured. I decided that it was a conversation to have with Père Maurice for another day. As he would say, we will sit and talk and drink whiskey.

PS – I have since realized that in my last entry I forgot to mention what Muzungu even means. It is the local word for “white person.” The kids are really yelling “white person! white person!” Not all the kids are happy to see me though; this past Thursday I waved to a baby a few feet away. It took a good look at me and started to cry uncontrollably. I am telling myself that it was just scared of me because I am white, not because I have an exceptionally hideous face.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick,

This is fascinating and inspiring. It really shocks me out of my own comfort zone here in the U.S. when I read about your experiences there so far. It seems as if you're settling in well--I hope you can keep up with the posts.

Clem

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nick I hope you're doing well.
What a great article in the Globe You're an inspiration to us all. You will make a difference to the people and children of Rowanda. I hope they find your luggage. We have the webcam so hopefully at some point we'll be able to see you. Your friend will be back to the university on the 1st. Keep up the great work. Love and be safe (your Pembroke mom) Roberta Sarafinas

Anonymous said...

Dear Nick,

Think of you everyday. I'm proud to call you my nephew. Take good care of yourself.

Joe

Anonymous said...

Nick,
It sounds like you're having an amazing experience. It is great how you can share those eperiences with us. Good luck with your missing bag.

Your Cousin,
Jason

Anonymous said...

we are enjoyinng your writings, but if you were home you could go to oregon and drive nana and pa.
in march it was to Ireland
michael was our driver

in july it was to Washington DC
kathryn drove pa

in sept it is portland oregon
your favorite mom is to be our driver
love nanan

Anonymous said...

Hi Nick by god I think I've done it! following your adventures every day. will have all the meatballs you can eat ready - just tell me when. you make us proud. soccer is a great idea & should be fun for you & the kids. be well love nana

Anonymous said...

hi nick, i'm not too good with the computer so i hope this gets to you. i love reading your blog or whatever it is called. can't even imagine what it is really like there. it is so sad yet you always have some comment to make me laugh or smile. you sound like you are doing ok so far. we are thinking of you everyday. you are so good to keep everyone up to date.
love,
aunt kathy

Anonymous said...

is jessica stauss still in camp. if her name is stauss, her mom is a patricia from calif.. the last time i saw your 3rd cousin was in 1992 at her folks home in ca,

pa